In an exercise that will be beneficial to both me (emptying out my Google Reader’s “starred” items) and to you (a whole lot of stuntastic things from around the Internets), I’m bringing back an old segment that will be familiar to my oldest readers, “News I Find Interesting!” Here, I will be posting a long list of links and such that I’ve encountered that I found interesting, amusing, idiotic, titillating, or hilarious, but didn’t get around to sharing with you.
You may have already seen few, some, or all of the links below, but in any case I hope you will find an item or two of note that YOU will find interesting.
1. The New York City’s Department of Transportation has installed nine unique bike racks designed by David Byrne, yes of the Talking Heads fame, but did you know he is also a bike enthusiast? It is only temporary but I hope the powers that be change their minds and make them a permanent addition to the City landscape. More information, including rack location (hi-ho!) here.
2. Do your best Beavis and Butthead laugh when looking at this unintentionally funny sign.
3. Idiot TSA “inspector” breaks commercial airplane. TSA guy should be added to the “no-fly” list as he clearly is a danger to travelers.
4. The DUI Mario Kart experiment. Damn, I’m ready to submit myself as a subject for an experiment like this. Any fellow geek want to organize this?
6. Photos of cute animals + website = Profit! Cute Overload, the popular site of fuzzy wuzzy puppies and kitties, is making the owner some nice chedder from advertising. WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS FIRST?!?!
7. People taking photos of Obama. One dude got himself one of those green disposables just for the occasion.
8. All that music you kids are uploading and streaming from Muxtape is costin the company a whole lotta money in the hosting category. Looks like cloud computing might be expensive enough to bring a company crashing back down to earth.
9. Michael Phelps doesn’t want to make a splash and piss off advertisers and sponsors. He just wants to be a corporate bitch. Post-college idealist MRod is looking to do the same. Sponsors, sponsor me!
11. What makes for a good blog. I agree with many of the points, but I break most of the “rules.” I think those traits make for popular blogs, but that is separate from what I specifically enjoy about blogging. In the end, there’s no hard and fast set of rules. Do you. Do what you like to do that will keep you blogging, even if it is for just a month or two.
12. LGBTA L.G.P.A, the Ladies Golf Professional Association, is requiring all its golfers to pass a verbal English test or face suspension. This new rule was especially aimed and communicated to the South Korean contingent. It’s so jarring to read of something so anachronistic as “English-Only” in the 21st century particularly when it pertains to professional sports which is becoming more and more globalized in a symbiotic relationship for new talent, bigger audiences, and more money. As the Times writes:
Women have been fighting against discrimination in golf for decades, as Augusta National Golf Club — home of the Masters Tournament and still lacking a single female member — shamefully demonstrates. For the L.P.G.A. to impose discriminatory rules on its own members is not only offensive, it’s self-destructive.
14. Eric Ripert, chef of top restaurant le Bernardin, is blogging recipes of dishes he creates using the common toaster oven. He’s JUST LIKE YOU AND ME! Okay, not at all.
15. Drawing with a cup of coffee and a spoon. Genius. I can’t wait to try this at brunch next time and piss off the server.
To read more click after the jump…but you’ve been warned: there’s a LOT more to read.
16. Another upcoming show, called The Wrong Door from across the Atlantic that looks promising. The BBC is so on point.
17. Has the identity of the Zodiac Killer been uncovered? He may be….RIGHT BEHIND YOU!
18. The most obsessed Twat Twit ever. Dude gets the Twitter error message image tattooed. I’m definitely “unfollowing” this cat. Freak.
19. Matt Harding, you know the guy who danced all around the world, now brings his schtick to the corporate boardroom to “boost morale.” I would jump around like an idiot for a paycheck too. Yea, I’m hating. So what?
20. Sarah Palin’s Wikipedia page got a bit of Fall cleaning right before McCain announced her as his BFF (after only just meeting her once).
21. A new study in Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics argues that medicine tailored to specific “races” or racial groups are doomed to fail. Although two individuals may be of the same “race,” a label that is a social construct in of itself, their respective genomes may respond differently to a particular medication.
23. Bush eats cat on the cob. Haha.
24. This sci-fi film noir short (won a film contest) is pretty good. In a future where cloning is widespread, this detective tries to track down who is murdering his own clones.
25. LA has had a serial killer out there for awhile. Yikes.
26. This teenager started a Zune chat community in 2006. He earned $1,000 a month for a couple years from advertising and just recently sold it for $62,000. I hate my life.
28. VPILF. LOL. “Just a heartbeat away from being a PILF.” LOL.
29. Headless teddy USB drive. Or in other words, “How to be even MORE creepy at work.”
30. Nasubi, the naked guy who lived on freebies for an entire year for a Japanese reality show for a sort of real life Truman Show…except even more fucked up!
31. YouTube Comment Snot – A Firefox add-on that will hide all those stupid comments on the popular video hosting and streaming site.
32. Strawberries and shake, the perfect combination? YES YES YES.
33. Banksy hits up New Orleans. BANKSY — COME BACK TO NYC! Specifically, come to Park Slope and tag up my apartment building or hell, even my apartment room itself! Thanks!
34. Militant art. ERIN, Please have your [famous] boss buy this please!!
35. I know it’s a low blow, but mang, it’s still funny. Old guy + young gal = Comedy.
36. Michael Jackson and Emmanuel Lewis vintage video. Back then this was probably considered cute. Today, frightening. I’m watching it and all I keep thinking is “How the heck is no one flying across the screen and tackling Michael while screaming KEEP THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE CHILD MICHAEL!”
37. Cute Overload. Damn, this puppy whistling is so cute I want to just pop it in the microwave on high heat.
38. Hysterical Nickleback parody. Seriously, I wasn’t going to watch it because well, I hate Nickleback, but I’m glad I did. Hilarious.
39. Oddly compelling video put together using photos of Bush, Obama, and McCain. It sounds a lot more interesting than it reads.
40. This cat bento box should have two heads.
41. Nine breathtaking bridges. Although I’m pretty much amazed by any bridge which I think are amazing feats of engineering.
42. Obama needs to unleash his moneyed advantage and buy up some keywords.
43. GUTEN TAGGGGG! Breakfast for yo brain!
46. The most unhappy dogs in the world. I would be too if I had to wear what they were forced to wear.
47. Camouflage art.
48. If a black hole accidentally occurred here on earth, what would the repercussions look like? Like this.
51. Train nearly runs over idiots. It’s a “HOLY SHIT” sort of a moment in the video.
52. “Old man” does magic tricks on subway trains and amusement parks. The last one is hilarious.
53. China isn’t the only country that lip synched its Opening Ceremony. Those Aussies did it as well during the Sydney Olympics.
55. Zombie emergency procedure. Guide on what to do in the event of a zombie attack.
56. Heh. Evily genius in today’s age of hyper-connectivity. Fake Following.
57. The Japanese Anna Kournikova…sourta.